Monday, January 14, 2013

Instead of Focusing On Weight Gain

Hello! It's the rainy, tired Monday morning after a fun filled weekend with some of my favorite people. I enjoyed every minute of my weekend and look forward to doing it again soon :).

 So how did I survive this weekend?  Well, I got on the scale this morning and was UP1 pound.   Now..this is the point where I would normally utter a few expletives, get angry and turn around and have a Cinnabon for breakfast.  At this point I would normally be thinking, why am I busting my booty packing food, making snacks and working out like a maniac and still gaining weight.   This time though..i will not be doing that.  Instead, I will be using this 1 pound weight gain as a motivator.

Instead of focusing on the weight gain, I'm going to focus on what I did to show that weight gain.
1) I ate out more than I would normally have this weekend.  Eating out means sodium and preservatives that your body holds on to and it shows up on the scale.

2) I did not drink enough water this weekend which means I'm retaining water.  Contrary to popular belief, water retention actually comes as a result of not enough water.  If you don't drink enough, your body holds on the water you do have instead of letting it go.

Instead of focusing on the weight gain, I'm going to focus on some NSV's (non scale victories).
1) I see definition in my legs and when I lift my leg, I see that line that says..i do a lot of squats.
2) I took my Insanity Fit Test this morning and exceeded everything I did two weeks ago which means I'm getting stronger.
3) I see muscle tone in my arms and a bit in my stomach area.

Instead of focusing on my weight gain, I'll remember that this is ONLY week 2 and weight fluctuates on an hourly basis.
This is particularly hard for me because the last time I really focused on losing weight I was able to lose 27 lbs in 3 months.  That has become the barometer by which I judge all of my new weight loss efforts.  I need to remember that when I did that, I was 22, single with no children and 2-3 hours to work out every day.  I was also eating Spinach salads for dinner every night which is not sustainable nor particularly healthy.

Most importantly, Instead of focusing on my weight gain, I'll remember that this is NOT a diet, it is a lifestyle change and if this is going to be my lifestyle there will be weight gains, losses and plateaus that come with it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment